The Power to Care is a utility assistance fund that provides bill payment to the elderly and disabled with limited incomes. United Way of Southwest Louisiana helps Entergy Louisiana customers complete applications and verify income information. Donations from Entergy customers and employees are matched by shareholders.
Entergy Louisiana customers in one of the following United Way of Southwest Louisiana parishes:
ALLEN, BEAUREGARD, CALCASIEU, CAMERON, JEFF DAVIS
AND ONE OF THE BELOW
Entergy Louisiana customers who are 60 years and older are eligible if they meet the below
- Must meet 150% of the federal poverty level (see chart below)
- Proof of income including social security, employment, VA, retirement, etc. is required
- CURRENT LETTER MUST BE SUPPLIED
Entergy Louisiana customers who are 18 years old and older are eligible if they are mentally and/or physically disabled who meet the below
OR have a disabled spouse or dependent receiving Social Security Disability are eligible who meet 150% of the federal poverty level. CURRENT SSID LETTER MUST BE SUPPLIED
- SSA (Survivor’s Benefits do not qualify as disability)
- Short-term/long-term disability does not qualify
- Workman’s Compensation does not qualify
ALL DOCUMENTS USED TO APPLY MUST BE LESS THAN 30 DAYS OLD
150% of Federal Poverty Level
|NUMBER OF FAMILY LIVING IN HOUSE||150% of Poverty Level TOTAL MONTHLY INCOME OF WHOLE FAMILY||150% of Poverty Level TOTAL ANNUAL INCOME OF WHOLE FAMILY|
Things to remember
- Once an Entergy Louisiana customer has reached an annual cap, additional assistance will not be provided until the following year.
- There is a 90-day (3 months) waiting period between assistance requests.
- It can take 90 days (3 months) for a credit to impact your utility bill.
- A current itemized bill is required when submitting your request.
- Final/Inactive/Closed Entergy Louisiana accounts cannot receive Power to Care assistance. Call Entergy at 1-800-368-3749 for help.
- The Entergy account must bear the exact name of the applicant requesting assistance. Only exception is a legal spouse, legal power of attorney or legal caregiver with proof. Call Entergy at 1-800-368-3749 to be added to the account if you are related to the account holder or have remarried and changed your name.
- ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE LESS THAN 30 DAYS OLD
Most common reasons your application was not approved
- Power to Care program funds are donations and the funds were depleted
- Customer has received assistance from other sources and United Way reserves the right to assist others in need
- Customer has reached the annual Power to Care cap set by Entergy
- Customer has a final (inactive/closed) Entergy account. Customer will need to call Entergy at 1-800-368-3749 for a new account number. (The balance will be transferred from the closed account to the new account number)
- Customer has more than one service account with Entergy and has received a credit on another account
- CUSTOMER DOES NOT QUALIFY